|The city of Houston Department of Neighborhoods Office of International Communities and community partners have invited the public to take part in the 8th Annual Citizenship Month. The celebration promotes the value of good citizenship with an emphasis on diversity and inclusiveness, civic leadership and volunteer community service.
HISD’s Multilingual Programs Department is sponsoring a Poster Contest. We ask you to promote your school’s participation by encouraging students to design a poster to enter. The purpose of this event is to promote the value of good citizenship while encouraging youth to recognize diversity, inclusiveness, civic leadership and volunteer community service. The theme for the 2016 Citizenship Month Celebration is “The Many Faces of Houston”.
- There will be three categories for entries. Category 1 will include 1st – 5th grades, Category 2 will include 6th – 8th grades, and Category 3 will include 9th – 12th grades.
- Posters may be in the form of a slogan, picture, or both and should depict the theme as illustrated in the student’s own creative style. (No traced, copied, or commercial cut-outs will be accepted.)
- Each poster must be 12”x18” in size. White or gray art paper may be used as long as it is mounted on colored poster board of the specified size.
- The back of each entry must have: (1) Student’s Name, (2) Grade, (3) Student ID #, (4) School, and (5) Teacher.
- Preliminary judging at the school will determine the First, and Second place winners in each category.
Submission and Display Guidelines:
The poster contest deadline is Friday, November 18, 2016. First and Second, place winning posters in each category will be collected by HISD’s Multilingual Programs Department. The winning posters should be brought to the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Building, 4400 West 18th Street, Houston, TX 77092 to the Multilingual Programs Department.
Final Poster Contest winning entries will be notified by the department, upon judging completion on December 13th.
Students whose posters were not selected, may pick up poster contest entries from the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Building, 4400 West 18th Street, Houston, TX 77092 from the Multilingual Department upon notification from HISD.